Sunday 14 November 2010

The Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse

As I mentioned in my previous post, I've been poorly sick with an irritating sinus-achey-coldy thing this last week (woe me!). This has meant a lot of lounging around in my pjs with a book in my hand, or Downton Abbey on DVD, and not a lot of anything else, including blogging. So I have a fair bit of catching up to do!
During this lazy, blanket-clad week, I finished The Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse. I didn't love it as much as Labyrinth or Sepulchre, but I did really enjoy it. It follows Freddie as he struggles to fight his personal demons, only to experience some weird and wonderful happenings and unravel a long-hidden secret or two along the way. Kate Mosse paints such a picture of the French landscapes that the story is set among, the small, history-rich villages and the inhabitants that Freddie meets on his journey. However, I have to admit, the ending (which I'm not going to spoil) was too easy. Everything seemed to fit too easily, unlike with her previous novels which have all been a lot longer, with plenty of unexpected twists and turns. Definitely worth a read, I got completely caught up in the story almost straight away, but I don't think it's one I'll read again, unlike her previous two books.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.