Monday 11 October 2010

Hooray...a new Kate Morton book is on its way!

To celebrate the release of Kate Morton's latest book, The Distant Hours, I'm rereading The House at Riverton. This was the first book of her's that I read, and I was absolutely enthralled from start to finish. The two main characters, Emmeline and Hannah, live a life of make believe and games as children at their impressive summer house of Riverton, but as they grow older, their closeness is marred by their increasingly different lifestyles...and their love of the same man.
This is a *very* diluted description of the story, which uncovers the deepest, darkest family secrets thought to have been buried long ago with the sisters themselves. I loved the way that the majority of the story is told through the eyes of pensioner Grace Bradley, who served the sisters at Riverton as a young girl. The story has everything; intrigue, love, celebrity and the dark side of passion, while invoking the glamour of eras gone by brilliantly.
There is so much tragedy and secrecy in this novel that I couldn't put it down - I burrowed under a blanket on the sofa and drank endless cups of tea whilst devouring each page until it was over - and then sulked because I'd finished it so quickly!
I am a bit too excited about The Distant Hours, and have already pre-ordered it on Amazon - I can't wait to get my hands on it later this week, I just hope it lives up to The House at Riverton and Morton's other previous title, The Forgotten Garden, which I enjoyed just as much.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.