Sunday 10 October 2010

Sister by Rosamund Lupton

I walked past this book a couple of times in my local Tesco before finally giving in and popping a copy into my basket - I'm so pleased I did, this is a really gripping page-turner that I just couldn't put down.
As the title suggests, the story looks at the bond between sisters, while raising the age-old question of how well do we really know our relatives? There are two main characters in this story, Beatrice, who jets home to London from New York as soon as she hears that her younger sister, Tess, is missing, and Tess herself, who we get to know through Beatrice's relentless hunt for the truth.
I absolutely loved the way Ms Lupton weaves the story; I'm not usually a massive fan of flashbacks, but here they work really well to shape Tess's character and her mindset in the final days before her disappearance. Even when you feel like you've got to know Tess and Beatrice, the author is already unveiling another detail that leaves you on the edge of the seat. There are also numerous twists that we uncover through Beatrice's eyes, living each shocking detail with her.The story deals with guilt, love and fearless determination, while Ms Lupton creates a dark, sinister world that seems simultaneously threatening and confused.
I thought I had it worked out at one point, but the story is so beautifully written that the ending had me reeling -  Beatrice finds herself faced with the truth of what happened to Tess in the most disturbing way imaginable. Disturbing, dark, but brilliant, I would definitely recommend this one.

Sister is Rosamund Lupton's debut novel and I'm already excited to read her next offering - I just hope she doesn't keep us waiting too long! Plus, it's a real bargain on Amazon at the moment, so make sure you grab a copy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.