Sunday 10 October 2010

Miracles on the Water by Tom Nagorski

This has to be the best book I have ever read. Tom Nagorski documents a World War II maritime disaster - the sinking of The City of Benares by a German U-boat (U-48) - in this meticulously researched and moving story. The City of Benares was a passenger liner that was carrying evacuee children from Britain to Canada, as part of the Children's Overseas Reception Board programme.
Miracles on the Water is completely different to my usual choice of reading material, and there's good reason for this. As a torpedo-man in the second world war, my Grandad was aboard many different destoyers during his time in the navy. Never one to talk about his experiences, he casually mentioned one day that he was on board the destroyer HMS Hurricane when it raced to the rescue of The City of Benares and I immediately wanted to know more. I wasn't familiar with the disaster and, not wanting to push him too much, I headed straight to Amazon to see if anything had been published about it. The next day, Tom Nagorski's book was in my hands and I was already lost in the story.
The fact that it's a true story makes every tiny detail so much more poignant. Within a couple of chapters, I'd forgotten all about my quest to learn more about the Hurricane's role, instead I was transfixed by the tale unfolding before my eyes. The author has a personal interest in the story, as his great Uncle was one of the survivors. This shines through in his writing - it comes across as honest and respectful, but with huge attention to detail and as many personal experiences as possible. You find yourself experiencing the splendour and luxury of the liner through the eyes of the children, delighting in the endless supply of ice-cream and chicken after the rationing back home. The wonderful adventure quickly turns into a nightmare when a torpedo hits the ship - and the children and private passengers are soon boarding the lifeboats. Due to the horrendous weather conditions, the real danger started here. Lifeboats tipped over, were deluged with water and many children, some as young as five or six, found themselves at the mercy of the sea.
The horror and panic that gradually unfolds as the passengers realise the hopelessness of their situation can't fail to touch your heart, neither can the many miracles on the water that were performed by so many. I can't describe how moving I found the endless accounts of unbelievable heroism - one of which bought me to tears, and believe me, I'm not a big crier! There's also a spread of black and white photographs in the centre - I found myself poring over these long after I'd finished the book.
I don't want to go into too much detail incase you're not familiar with the story, but needless to say this book is one I will never forget. I can't imagine what my Grandad, and many others aboard the HMS Hurricane, were faced with on that awful night so long ago - it doesn't surprise me that he chooses not to talk about it.
This book manages to capture the enduring spirit, determination and heroism of a group of people that many have no knowledge of - I feel priviledged to have learned their story. This is more than a story of history and wartime politics, it's a beautiful tribute to those who didn't make it, as well as those who survived to tell the tale, and I cannot recommend it enough. If schools taught kids about this kind of thing, I wouldn't have taken Geography!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.